Monday, April 22, 2013

Jump

Linking up with Lisa-Jo for Five Minute Friday, although for me it's five-minute Monday! This week's word prompt is jump.

If you don't get married until you're 32, that means you attend quite a few weddings as a single lady. It also means you have to endure the agony of being called out with all the other single ladies for the tossing of the bridal bouquet. It's a painful ritual that makes most single ladies grimace, either because they don't want to be single, they love being single or simply because they don't see the point in calling attention to their marital status.

I did a quick search on the tradition of the tossing of the bridal bouquet. The most consistent answer I found was that in the 14th century, people wanted a momento from the wedding and would rip a piece of the bride's dress off. Really? Apparently brides tired of this treatment and looked for alternatives to this "tradition," and thus was born the tossing of the bouquet and the garter.

The only time I remember catching the bouquet was when I was in middle school and the guest book attendant at Patti S's wedding reception (which took place in a fire hall and the fire siren went off in the middle of it. Those are the details I remember.). That's two decades of experience, making me a true veteran of the bridal bouquet toss.

I don't think anyone enjoys "jumping" for the bouquet, except perhaps little girls with fairy tale dreams of Prince Charming . The last two weddings I've attended (both in my own family, so near and dear to the heart), the bouquet has fallen to the ground because no one would jump for it. In one case, a few people jumped away from it. In both cases, a good sport picked it up and the festivities continued.

I think it may be time for a new tradition. Perhaps one that includes calling up all female guests ages two to 10, playing a Disney princess song and letting the little girls hold onto their dreams.

All the single ladies will jump for joy.

2 comments:

  1. Visiting from FMF =) Mine was a Five Minute Monday post as well ;) I think you are right about this tradition. When I was a single teacher I attended many weddings with a desperately single colleague. No one even bothered to try for the bouquet because she made it blatantly clear that she was going to be catching the bouquet or take out anyone else trying to get it. I watched in horror at one wedding as she went tumbling backwards down the hill after tearing the bouquet from another gal's hands. And she is still single to this day. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my word! I lol'd at your story and the vision it created. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete