Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Friend

Linking up with Lisa-Jo and the others at Five Minute Friday. This (well, last) week's prompt is friend.



The very first friend I remember is Susan B. When I was four, we moved in across the street from her family. I remember riding bikes together, having dinner at her house where they served spaghetti with venison in the meat sauce (a surprise to me!) and listening to her Shaun Cassidy album which I wasn't allowed to have (Mama said) but somehow ended up with after an immature middle school fight effectively ended our friendship.

I've learned a lot about friendship since then. I've never had a lot of friends ... that's just not how I'm wired. When I reflect on the friendships I have, the IRL friendships not the lighter-touch Facebook friendships, I'm amazed at the diversity of those I call friend. Some are older than me, some younger. Some have been in my life for decades, others for only a few years. Some have come into my life for a purposeful season and then depart. Some live in my town, some live across the country, some live somewhere in between.

In my 20s, I said I had all the friends I needed, I didn't want any more. I look back now and think of the rich blessings I would have missed if that had come true. I'm glad God didn't pay attention to that bit of nonsense and has been gracious enough to grant me beautiful friendships that help sustain me in so many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment