Friday, June 21, 2013

Rhythm

It's time for Five Minute Friday once again. Today's word is rhythm.

It all goes well until the rhythm is broken. Broken by a squirrel, a rabbit, a dog, a motorcycle, a bicycle or a person. So many opportunities for cadence to be disrupted.

When Shelby girl joined our family, the humane society trainer warned me that we may not be able to walk her together with Cooper. That lasted all of about three days. While walking is my primary form of exercise -- OK, only form of exercise -- I don't have all day to walk two big dogs separately. They quickly found their rhythm and walk together well.

Until a distraction appears. And then it's all I can do to wrangle Cooper in, attempt to open Shelby's locked jaw to remove whatever "treasure" she's determined to hold onto, call out an apology if needed to a fellow pedestrian. (My neighbor and I think we should have shirts that read, "Just wave. Don't speak. It'll disturb the dog.")

When our rhythm is broken, I am easily frustrated, just like when the routine of my days is unexpectedly disrupted and doesn't go the way I planned. This is one of the many life lessons I've learned while walking my dogs.

Be flexible. Do the best to keep the rhythm, but when life skips a beat, keep on walking until you're back in sync.

2 comments:

  1. "Be flexible. Do the best to keep the rhythm, but when life skips a beat, keep on walking until you're back in sync."

    LOVE. THAT.

    Visiting from FMF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent advice in the last 2 lines! Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete