Friday, June 14, 2013

Listen

Linking up today with Lisa-Jo over at Five Minute Friday. Today's word prompt is listen.


A few weeks ago, I received the above Pinterest pin from a dear friend. We've been friends for more than two decades, and for most of those years we've lived at some geographic distance. Initially, it was a manageable two hours, but then her family decided to move to an entirely different coast (!) so our time together is more infrequent than ever.

But when we are together, we pick up right where we left off. And that generally includes going out to dinner or to the beach or to the park and just being together ... while we listen to other people's conversations. I don't think of this as eavesdropping, exactly. It's more of story collecting. Our first year out of college, when we lived close enough to meet for dinner, Friday nights would usually find us enjoying dinner out ... and saying very few words to each other. Oh, the stories we've heard.

And while I find listening to strangers most delightful when she and I are together, I find myself listening to others fairly often. When I was out for a birthday dinner with my husband, we were in a charming restaurant with fabulous food and seated in close proximity to our fellow diners. It was impossible not to overhear the conversations taking place around us. We were seated beside a charming older couple, probably in their 80s, with New York accents. Their interactions intrigued me and I couldn't help but listen. (Note: My husband gets my listening issue and sometimes joins right in with me.) Their conversation turned toward the temperature debate that is present in so many marriages.

Wife: You have spent all of your married years turning off the heat and I have spent my married years turning it back on. I remember when we had a wee baby at home and you left for work and when you left, turned off all the heat which I found to be very inconsiderate of you ...

Husband: Mmm...

Wife: ... which may have been why I burned your shorts in the oven.

You cannot script dialogue that fabulous!

5 comments:

  1. mmm ... ain't that the truth, Elizabeth!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, we never know what nuggets of wisdom might be gleaned from really listening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love that and see myself and husband having similar conversations all the time! After 41 years those are the things we remember!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, so funny! And they'd probably been married and having the same argument for 60 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL too funny! what a blessing though

    ReplyDelete