Friday, June 7, 2013

Fall

It's Friday and time to link up with Lisa-Jo at Five Minute Friday. Today's word prompt is fall.

I am a summer girl. 100 percent. I am perpetually cold, so I appreciate the heat of the summer months, even when others find it unbearable. Probably my second favorite season is fall, even though it means saying good-bye to summer, fighting the blues as the days grow shorter, and bracing myself against the winter to come.

Fall is back-to-school, something I never dreaded. New notebooks, new pens, a fresh start, reconnecting with friends. It's been many years since I prepared for back to school, but the season still brings with it the possibility of the months to come, before lessons become rote, teachers become challenging, and enough is enough.

The colors of fall are bright and crisp. Red is my favorite and seeing the brilliant crimson light up the landscape makes my heart happy. It's God's seasonal masterpiece before the leaves fall and color disappears for a few long months.

Fall is when I celebrate marrying my best friend. Our wedding day dawned bright and clear, photos attest to the beauty of the season. The temps were warm for Pennsylvania, but perfect for our special day. We've not always been so lucky with weather on our anniversaries, but God designed that perfect day just for us, I think.

I love going to the beach in the fall. Summer crowds have dissipated, the pace slows, the temperature still permits long walks on the beach and toes in the sand. It's like stealing a little bit of summer to store up for winter hibernation.

I love throwing on a sweatshirt with shorts for early morning jaunts with the dogs and lingering on the patio after dinner. A fire in the fireplace to cut the chill and warming up around a campfire with marshmallows and good conversation.

What's your favorite thing about fall?

6 comments:

  1. Great 5MF post! My favorite thing about Fall is taking walks in the cool evenings and sipping my favorite hot coffee drink! I love the colors of the trees too. Sometimes distracts me while driving. Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping over, Barbie. Today feels like fall instead of spring, so my tea is hot, not iced! Enjoy your day.

      Delete
  2. I also love fall. We just moved away from the Ozarks, with the prettiest trees (in my opinion.) I'm so curious to see what this fall will look like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jessica. I hope summer is great and you enjoy a beautiful fall!

      Delete
  3. Hi! Stopping over from FMF. Fall is also one of my favorite times. I love watching the leaves change, drives in the mountains, and nights by the fire with my family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your fall favorites, Melissa!

      Delete