Friday, May 17, 2013

Song

Linking up today with Lisa-Jo and Five Minute Friday. Today's word prompt is song.

Songs can evoke such powerful memories, can't they?

"So Noah, he built him, he built him an arky, arky": Singing this with my mother at a mother-daughter banquet dressed in identical dresses (mortified on various accounts)

"I'll fly away, oh glory, I'll fly away": The worship team sang a particularly peppy version of this one morning and a friend had the same comment as I did: I want them to sing this at my memorial service.

"I love rock and roll, put another dime in the juke box, baby": Secretly listening to the disallowed Top 10 at 10 on Q107 under the covers with the volume as low as it could go. A wanna-be Joan Jett.

"My brown-eyed girl, you my brown eyed girl": Forever when I hear this Van Morrison song, I will raise a glass to Pam, the brown-eyed girl, and remember how her favorite band played this live at her memorial service. PRICELESS.

"I had an El Camino and it got stuck": A completely fictitious song that has no other words, but cracked us up every time a friend's El Camino ... got stuck.

"How Great Thou Art": My childhood pastor closed every service having someone sing this. At the time, I thought it was repetitious. Now, I truly think "How Great Thou Art."

"Ring the bells, oh, ring the bells": The pastor's wife singing this in her vibrating voice every.single.Christmas.

"Friends are friends forever ...": Lands me right back in junior high every time. Thank you, Michael W. Smith.

"How beautiful the hands that served": A dear friend sang this Twila Paris song at our wedding while we took communion.

Pachabel's Canon in D: A classic favorite that our organist couldn't (wouldn't?) play for our wedding.

What song brings back memories for you?

11 comments:

  1. Hey Elizabeth ... amazing how many songs are jammed into our heart and minds ... I love the randomness at which they spring forth ...

    Or maybe it's not so random after all!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, Thanks so much for stopping by two weeks in a row! I appreciate your comments and view them as encouragement. Headed your way now. (And you're right ... it's probably not random at all.)

      Delete
  2. Music is such a gift. There's nothing like it to bring back the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth
    Songs can sometimes tell a story of a thousand words with just a few notes, a melody and a great beat. It also captures wonderful memories that one will always recall when you hear that song again.
    Much love from FMF
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Mia. You're right ... just a few notes of the right song can take you back!

      Delete
  4. Elizabeth, your post strikes such a chord (haha) with me. My motherinlaw always had a knack for singing the most ridiculous songs at the least provocation and it will always be one of the things I miss most about her. We sang a lot at her funeral because we just couldn't choose... And Albuquerque Turkey will never miss a Thanksgiving with us:) What a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just You Tubed Albuquerque Turkey and am envisioning your family sitting around the Thanksgiving table swaying side to side, singing in unity in honor of your MIL. :) Definitely one that sticks in your mind! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Your post was a delight! Songs can evoke many, many memories. I love that you've shared a few of yours with us.
    John Denver songs started playing in my head from the the days of sitting around a campfire with my family. We still find time to gather every summer and John Denver is always sung. :)
    Blessings to you. Happy Friday!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Beth. I can think of no better campfire song singer than John Denver! Happy summer singing!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete