Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day Thanks

Mother's Day has always been a bit of a challenge for me. My mother and I don't have a gushy, sentimental relationship, so standing before an array of hundreds of cards that never said quite the right thing always seemed a pressure-filled pursuit leading nowhere. As a single young woman, I often felt isolated as mothers were recognized during the church service. As a newly married stepmom, I felt alone as the "real" mothers received accolades and praise.

But I've come to see Mother's Day with a renewed perspective. Perhaps I've matured or maybe now there's a more universal recognition for the role many different women play in our lives. Either way, I am grateful for all the women who have poured themselves into my life and the lives of those I love. To a particularly special few individuals:

My mom - Our relationship has not always been easy, but I am grateful that we have held on and been given the chance to deepen and renew our relationship. Thank you for the sacrifices you made, for the rules you established and the example you set.

My mother-in-law - Thank you for raising your son to become the man I married. Your influence was foundational to who he would become and I thank you. I am grateful you welcomed me to your family with open arms and that you love and encourage me always.

My husband - Thank you for trusting me to be part of your children's lives. You are my best friend and greatest encourager.

To L, N and J - It's a journey, isn't it? I am grateful that God has given me the privilege to be in your lives. Thank you for your grace for these last 15 years as we worked together to figure it out. I look forward to the next steps on our journey together. I am always on your team - guaranteed.

To R and J - God has added you to our family in the past year and I am thankful for your lives, for how you love and encourage your spouses, for who you are and all that is yet to be.

To M - You and I are not where we ought to be and that breaks my heart. But God is faithful and I trust him to repair what is broken. I shed tears for you in church this morning because I can only imagine how difficult this day must be for you. Please know that you are loved, always.

To my sisters-in-law - Thank you for working hard to raise great children. I am thankful for all you do for your families.

To my niece - What joy to see you embrace motherhood and so fully delight in your angel. I am proud of you.

To my friends - Thank you for being there for me in a million different ways. Whether we've been friends for 25 years or two, words are inadequate to convey how blessed I am that you walk the road of life beside me.

For each of you, I wish for beauty and joy, today and always.


Mother's Day
2013

No comments:

Post a Comment