Friday, March 22, 2013

Remember

Linking up today with Lisa Jo and the others at Five Minute Friday. Today's word is remember.

It's funny what triggers the memory, isn't it?

When I cut a green pepper,
I remember a coworker laughing at me because I didn't know how to do it (fresh out of college).

When I slice celery and get to the inside yellow core,
I remember my friend who prefers that part of the celery bunch, even though I have no use for it.

When my dad listens to the television at blaring levels and refuses to admit he can't hear,
I remember pulling up to his mother's house, parking in the cul-de-sac and hearing Golden Girls blaring from inside the house because she, too, thought she could hear just fine.

When I hear about kids building snow tunnels,
I remember building one with my older brother, coaxing my toddler brother in to the back of the tunnel and my mother coming out of the house crying "My baby, my baby!"

When October 4 rolls around,
I remember my childhood friend Karen who I haven't talked to in nearly 30 years, but I still remember her birthday.

When I hear Brown-Eyed Girl,
I remember Pam and how the band played it at her memorial service.

When I see a big old station wagon from back in the day,
I remember being able to take the "party wagon" to college for a semester. (Note: No parties were held in said wagon.)

When anyone references OJ Simpson,
I remember the infamous car chase that started before I left my home in Pennsylvania and ended when I pulled into my grandpa's driveway in Maryland hours later.

What triggers your memory and what do you remember?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Elizabeth! I remember the OJ trial all too well as I was laid up with an injury on the couch for weeks, glued to the TV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It amazing what can trigger our memory...and the things it can make us remember. When you mentioned snow tunnels it made me remember a video I have of my son jumping into a pile of leaves and he completed disappeared in the leaves.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete