Saturday, March 9, 2013

Home

Linking up today with Lisa-Jo at Five Minute Friday. This week's word prompt is Home.

 
Home has been Halleck, Kipling, Sollengberger, Naugle, Fileys, Garden, Ridgeview and William. It's been a small house, a bigger house, a dorm room, a farmhouse, an apartment, a bi-level and a ranch. It's been filled with Nancy Drew, Shawn Cassidy and Donny & Marie; a baby brother and a big brother; roommates; no one but me; children becoming teenagers then adults; my husband and my dogs.

It's been a place of a little girl's dreams, a big girl's broken heart, hope, joy, laughter, pain, fear. It's been the place I came home to after school, after class, after work. It's where I've worked from for 15 years. It's where I'm greeted with tail wags and puppy kisses when I walk in the door.

I don't keep it clean enough or peaceful enough, though I've gotten better at both through the years. It's a place where family and friends are welcome, although hospitality is not a gift that comes naturally. Home is the place I am safest from the cares of this world, where my heart rests with the one I love, where the real me takes a deep breath and looks up.




3 comments:

  1. visiting from FMF over on Lisa-Jo's.
    I like your reflecting on where you've been at home and what it looks like to you. Sounds like you've had quite a worldwide experience. I hear you about 'home is a place where family and friends are welcome, although hospitality is not a gift that comes naturally'. that is where I find myself these days.
    and that last sentence made me breathe deep in understanding and sharing that same desire for my home. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this post!!! So eloquently written :)

    ReplyDelete