Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Oil Change

As his wife, I try hard not to take Brian for granted. I try to consistently tell him how much I appreciate how hard he works and everything he does for our family. I attempt to be an encourager versus an arguer. Some days I'm more successful than others, but I do my best to remain cognizant of all he contributes to my life, our life together, and the lives of our family, friends and community.

There is, however, one area where I do take him for granted and that is in the area of our vehicles. Now, as a single lady, I was much more aware of my vehicle's upkeep and maintenance. I was responsible for getting gas every week and making sure my oil was changed regularly. I will say I had help with the bigger issues. I'll never forget my friend R helping me one night with my beater car and him telling me as he wrestled with whatever the issue was, "You should just go in the house because this is going to get ugly." I'm so grateful for my friends who lent me their husbands to help with such matters.

But Brian enjoys taking care of the vehicles and making sure I don't have to worry about pumping gas, so he keeps an eye on the gas level and 98% of the time makes sure the tank is full. This isn't anything we ever discussed; he just does it as a gift of love. He changes the oil in our vehicles, so no more going to the quick-lube and being concerned about being taken advantage of with all the add-on services.

As a result of his attentiveness to this area, I pay close to zero attention to the fuel level in my car - until the little pesky light comes on, telling me I'm empty - and I haven't taken a vehicle to get an oil change probably in the last 15 years. Until yesterday.

Basement renovations have been accelerating and the weather has been colder than usual, so it's been a little challenging for him to find time or inclination to change the oil in the truck. Who wants to change oil in single-digit temps? So I offered to take the truck for an oil change.

Me: I think I'll run the truck up for a quick oil change. I have a coupon.
B: That would be a big help.
Me: OK.
B: Now just get an oil change. Nothing else. Nothing extra.
Me: I know. I remember doing this before I had a wonderful husband who took care of such things.
B: And don't get synthetic oil.
Me: OK.
B: I want whatever oil it is spec'd for.
Me: OK. OK.
B: Thank you.
Me: You're welcome. I'm sure I won't get as great customer service as I do when you take care of this.
B: They better not kiss you at the end.
Me: Uh, I'll say.

So off I go with my coupon. And all goes well until they tell me to pop the hood. Hmm. Well. Where is that pesky little lever? I'm embarrassed to admit (but I'll do it right here on the Internet) that I couldn't find the lever. Now, in my defense, I was looking in the right area but it is tucked up pretty far under and even the tech guy had to search for it. So there was Little Miss Independent, feeling like Little Mrs. Clueless Housewife. Oh, how far I've come.

But as my grandpa used to say, "All's well." The oil is changed, I've been reminded where the hood lever is located (because I'm sure I've popped the hood to jump start the tractor or boat or some other vehicle once or twice upon a time) and most importantly, I wasn't fleeced for an air filter I didn't need.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! Oh, that my B took care of all the car stuff (he does other wonderful stuff . . . ). For the first time in my life I bought a used car on my own last month, albeit with the significant help/support of my 17 year old man-child-son!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe Q is old enough to do such things with you, but what great memories to make together!

      Delete