Thursday, February 14, 2013

My Funny Valentine






I warned him. As our first Valentine's Day together approached, I made it clear that I thought Valentine's Day is an overrated, silly holiday. (This coming from a girl who, along with her single lady friends, used to wear black on February 14 in protest.) He and I were still trying to figure out what exactly we were. Friends, for sure, but a couple? Not quite.

So when he showed up at my apartment with a bag of candy, I became suspicious. Then he whipped out a bouquet of flowers. Amid my protests, he proceeded to say we were going out for dinner and then to a movie. Candy, flowers, dinner and a movie ... does a more cliche Valentine's Day exist? What could I do but laugh? The point goes to the romantic. Mission accomplished.

Since that first Valentine's Day, we've gotten married, blended a family, survived the teen years and celebrated children's graduations, engagements and weddings. We've lost a dog and gained two more. We've sat together at the bedsides of dying friends. We've faced family crises and health concerns. We've traveled places we never thought we'd see and celebrated milestone birthdays together. We've sold a house, changed communities and completely renovated a house. We've been through unemployment and watch God bring us to where he intended.

We've journeyed a million miles and I look forward to journeying a million more together.

I'm still not a huge fan of Valentine's Day and all its related expectations, heartbreak and expense. But I no longer wear black in protest and I have come to appreciate the importance of letting a romantic be a romantic. I am a blessed woman in that my valentine shows me he loves me every day by working hard, putting me first, being patient with me, surprising me and making me laugh.

All these Valentine's Days later, we've grown into our love and we laugh more often than ever. Thanks for the laughs, valentine. I'm glad you're mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment